Syntax Demoparty hosts a bunch of competitions anyone worldwide can enter.
Go here to reach the Syntax Discord (join).
During the party, links to livestream + voting + entries at syntaxyeahnaa.com
Demo for PC / Mac / Console
Demo Oldskool computers
Demo of hardware / other
Pixeled graphics (oldskool)
Pixeled graphics (nuskool)
EXE Graphics 8k (Include render)
Animation (any style)
Black & White Photograph
Tracked (< 1MB)
29 Second MP3/OGG/FLAC
Competition Entry rules and category specifics
- A member of your group or yourself will need to be either signed up for Syntax in advance or on the Discord during the party on the Fri/Saturday in order to submit your entry! Recommended to be in the Discord in the lead up to the compo if possible in case we have any technical questions. All categories are remote entries - but you will need to log into the PARTYNET to upload.
Update: If you missed the sign-up, his up a SysOP on Discord in the PartyNet-support channel for access.
- Any submissions must be your original work and had no previous release at an event / internet in their native format.
- Any submitted work will be made available for free public download via scene.org and pouet.net
- Usual rules regarding content: nothing illegal, nothing racist / discriminatory, keep it an [MA] rating, etc
- You do not have to release your source code if you do not want to - but always welcome.
- In 2021, all categories are open to remote entries (including international)
- Upload entries using the PARTY SYSTEM at https://syntaxyeahnaa.com/
- If it's not uploading for some reason... use FTP / wetransfer / yousendit / Google drive share, etc.
- Please include: Title of piece, your handle, your country, & text for the projector slide. Thank you!
REAL-TIME DEMO COMPO - 2 Categories
- Nuskool Demo : real-time playback on a PC / Mac / Console (100MB Zipped Limit). No caps. Must run live.
- Oldskool Demo : C64, VIC20, OCS, ECS, ST, AGA, Spectravideo & any other platform released 1993 or earlier.
- WiLD category: BYO hardware (Arduino / PIC, etc), Smartphone demo, browser based demo, hardware hack or anything else outside of all other categories. Even a graphical demo, game or you can present / explain the hardware. Uncertain, then it can be entered here!
Max duration is 10 minutes max for demos (including pre loader). Longer demos will be faded out at 10 mins.
All C64 demos will be executed via an 1541 Ultimate Cart from D64 or PRG unless otherwise requested. Let us know if you want a demo running from a real drive and we will make it happen. Please also spec 6581 or 8580 SID!.
Screenshots of some of the enteries from previous years.
BYO hardware (Arduino / PIC, etc), Smartphone demo, browser based demo, hardware hack or anything else outside of all other categories.
Even a graphical demo, disk mag, game or you can present / explain your hardware hack!
Uncertain, then it can be entered here!
MUSIC - 3 Categories
29 Second MP3 / OGG / FLAC [open to international entries]
All music is limited to a maximum running time of 4 minutes (except for the 29 Second Music compo). Longer tracks will be faded out.
You can provide an MP3 / OGG file for public to download, but it will not be played at the compo.
If you are unsure in what category your entry fits then drop us a line and we will sort it out!
Tracked Music (1MB max)
... Includes: MOD, S3M, IT, XM, Madtracker, Musicline or OctaMED (no packed formats such as MO3)
The default player for IT, XM, S3M and AHX formats will be XMPLAY. Intepolation will be set to none unless spec'ed in the submission notes.
MOD and OctaMED files will be played on an Amiga 1200 in mono with the filter turned off unless otherwise spec'ed.
Chip music (8bit or 16bit platform)
... C64C 8580R5 and C64 6581R4AR, Atari ST (YM), DMG Gameboy, Adlib, Sega Master System/Mega Drive, AHX (Amiga), NES/SNES or other hardware / synth chip pre 1993.
Chiptune enteries must play from the real standalone hardware. Unrendered formats = disk image, PRG, SNG or ROM image. No MIDI or "chip sounding" VST MP3s.
Tracks in LSDJ are accepted, but SAV file must be submitted (we have cart readers, etc).
Chip crunched code (as long as it executes and decrunches on the hardware) is allowed.
We will have Commodore 64 available, with both 6581 and 8580 SID, a CPC, and a Sega Mega Drive. If you have other requirements please contact us. Because 2021 is a virtual event, please RECORD a version of your music as mono WAV, or 320kbps MP3 if you are worried about our SID. Hardware cap preferred. Our SIDs are below.
Should be 29 seconds exactly! Submit as a WAV
file. Any technology / software can be used. One entry per person.
Please name your file so that it includes your handle!
If you are new to tracked music and are curious how it works and why it is different from nuskool production methods, cTrix^DA wrote an this introduction 15 years ago for tracking music for Amiga & C64. It is by no means complete, but should get you started.
Almost all tracking software is free, the formats cross platform and sports a relativly easy learning curve. The tracking community is traditionally very helpful to new comers & oldskool members alike.
GRAPHICS AND ANIMATION (NON REAL-TIME)
- Pre-rendered Animation (3D or 2D) : Max runtime 5min
- Pixelled Graphics : C64 / PC / Amiga / any system!
- ASCii, PETSCii and ANSi (native format, traditional or extended!)
- Executable 8k Graphics - PC
- B+W Photo (less than 1MB JPG plz)
- Note: * if * we get enough ANSi entries we may have separate ANSi compos based on:
ANSI traditional: Image size: 80 columns, 23 lines. Standard 16 colours only, no iCE colours (disable in settings) or extended palette.
ANSI open: iCE colours. (extended use of the palette which allows use of two background colours at once) or Altered palette ANSI! (changing the HEX values of the 16 original ANSI colours).
ANSI extended: Extra wide ANSI. (over 80 columns wide - often called .BIN or .XBIN).
- Tools / Diskmags / Musicdisks / Artpacks
If you have an announcment... be it a musicdisk, art pack, tool, util, diskmag - let the organisers know and we will give you the opportunity to launch it on the big screen.
Screen grab and short description requested.